It’s hard to find about trends of programming languages, but thanks to TIOBE we can get a pretty good idea:
- You can see a big slope down in 2004 that doesn’t end until 2005 is near, that matches the release of Java 1.5.0, a huge milestone; lots of features added
- Another ramp up appears at the beginning of 2007, probably due to Java 1.6.0; the first Open Source version
- Almost invisible until 2006, when Ruby on Rails was gaining momentum.
- Something really big happened at the end of 2001–PHP 4.1?–I don’t really know what it was
- For Python the good time seems to be in the middle of 2004. Again, no idea
On the latest trends we can see that C++ doesn’t seem to be going up anytime soon. Visual Basic is steadily going up. Perl down.
Other new gems are D and specially Lua. They don’t appear on this table but probably they soon will:
You can see the whole thing here